Tuesday, February 12, 2013

BLOG POST ASSIGNMENT 3

     My race is white Caucasian, but my ethnicity is Italian. I am 100% Italian because both my father and mothers side are full Italian. I was born in Livingston, New Jersey and both of my parents were also born in New Jersey. My grandparents were all also born in New Jersey but my great grandparents were born Italy around Naples. On the census from for question 8 I would check off, “No, not of Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin” and for question 9 I would check off, “White”. I do believe my race is important for certain aspects of life but I also believe it is more important for everyone to be treated equal and race shouldn’t matter. My ethnicity, although I don’t think about it much, but when I do it is important to me because it shows where my ancestors came from and it is interesting to learn more about the Italian culture and really see the background I came from.
     The Doll video saddened me as I watched because I could not believe that 15 out of the 21 children chose the white doll. What shocked me the most was how the little African American boy and girl both said that the white doll was the doll that "looked nice" and the little girl also said that the black doll "looked bad" because it was black, she said. It also shocked me that the African girls that were interviewed knew basically nothing about their culture besides that they were just from Africa, but they didn't know specifically where. This video and the choices of dolls the children made shows how peoples ideas and opinions about black people are influencing young black children and what they think about themselves and people of their color. 

1 comment:

  1. Marisa: You provided an interesting response. I wish everyone thought like you and this world would be a better place.

    ReplyDelete